Cigarette Causes Minor Fire in Downers Grove Apartment
Residents were briefly evacuated Friday afternoon after a cigarette thrown in a bucket caused smoke damage in an apartment in the 4900 block of Fairview.
A small fire forced forced a brief evacuation of an apartment building on Fairview Avenue on Friday, blocking traffic just north of Maple Avenue for nearly an hour.
Firefighters arrived at the apartment, 4925 Fairview Ave., around 12:50 p.m., just minutes after a resident reported smoky conditions. The fire appeared to be caused by a cigarette thrown into a plastic bucket, according to the Downers Grove Fire Department.
The incident caused minor smoke damage, and one resident complained of smoke inhalation, fire officials said. No other injuries were reported.
Crews were seen cleaning up the scene around 1:55 p.m. after residents were allowed back into their homes.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
There are plenty of ways to keep up on Downers Grove news: