Downers Grove North pulled off another big win Friday night, defeating Thornton to advance to the IHSA Class 7A quarterfinals.
A week after handing top-seeded Batavia its first loss of the season, the No. 8 Trojans (7-4) turned in another solid performance, winning 29-13 over No. 5 Thornton (8-3).
Downers Grove jumped out to a 19-0 lead in the first half after capitalizing on two early turnovers by the Wildcats. The Trojans went up 29-0 in the fourth before Thornton posted a couple of long touchdown plays in the final three minutes of the game.
By that time, the game was out of reach.
“Just started executing too late, I guess,” Thornton quarterback JoWahn Brown told Sun-Times Media after the game.
Downers Grove will host No. 2 Benet Academy (10-1) next week for the state quarterfinals. The date and time have yet to be announced.
Patch MVPs: Sophomore quarterback David Edwards (2 touchdowns, 24 carries, 68 yards rushing) and senior fullback Brandon Salter (19 carries, 93 yards)
More coverage from our friends in print:
- 7A | Downers North pulls off another big win — Chicago Tribune
- Downers Grove North eliminates Thornton — Sun-Times Media
- Slow Start Dooms Thornton in playoff loss — Northwest Herald
Through High School Cube, we are able to bring you highlights of the game. Share your thoughts on the game below.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
There are plenty of ways to keep up on Downers Grove news:
See More on Patch
- Downers Grove Native Susannah Collins Speaks Out about CSN Firing
- CSN Fires Downers Grove Native Susannah Collins Following 'Sex' Flub
- First-Year Coach Leads DGS Special Olympics Team to State Championship
- Downers Grove South Special Olympics Team Wins State Basketball Title
- Downers Grove Dentist Partners with Chicago Bandits Softball Team
Most Popular articles
- State Rep. Ron Sandack Withdraws from GOP Chairman Race
- Runners Hold Fundraiser for Downers Grove Boy Battling Rare Disease
- Downers Grove Native, Teacher Matt Gavin Loses Battle With Cancer
- Downers Grove Home Badly Damaged During Fire; No Injuries Reported
- Pervert on 59th, Crook Leaves Smell: Police Blotter