The Top 12 of 2012: Downers Grove Patch's Most-Read Stories of the Year
A look back at the year that was in Downers Grove.
For better or worse, the one thing about being an online newspaper is knowing exactly which stories hit a nerve with our readers and those that barely made a ripple.
It will probably come as no surprise that many of the best-read stories on Downers Grove Patch were those that had to do with crime, but there were also a few surprises.
Don't worry — if you're disheartened by the fact that so many sad stories made the cut, check back for our roundup of our favorite feel-good stories of the year.
- Teen Girl Tries to Fight Boy, Boy Punches Her: Two 16-year-old Downers Grove South students—one male, one female—were charged with battery after getting into a fight with each other in April.
- Owner: Omega Restaurant Will Not Re-Open: Omega, 1300 Ogden, has been closed since mid-July after it lost water and electricity service. The owner has since announced plans to re-open the restaurant.
- Body Discovered in Portable Toilet at Hillcrest School: The body of a 24-year-old Downers Grove resident was discovered inside a portable toilet at Hillcrest School. The cause of death was later revealed to be a heroin overdose.
- UPDATED: No Ruling on Death of Man Who Fell From Garage for 10-12 Weeks: A 41-year-old Addison man died in August after falling from the top of a Downers Grove parking garage.
- FBI: Downers Grove Dermatologist Charged in Nationwide Medicare Fraud Takedown: Dr. Robert Kolbusz of the Center for Dermatology and Skin Cancer was accused of defrauding Medicare and private health insurance companies by submitting false claims for hundreds of patients.
- Humane Society: Happiness Is Pets in Downers Grove Linked to Puppy Mills: A dozen Chicago-area pet stores were listed in an undercover investigation released in December by the Puppy Mill Campaign for the Humane Society of the United States.
- Sex Offender Watch: A Map of Homes to Keep on Your Radar this Halloween: Patch put together a map of registered sex offenders in Downers Grove, along with local laws and rules for Halloween.
- Driver Gets $1,500 Fine, Community Service in Crash that Disabled Downers Grove Teen: Parents of 14-year-old Hunter Himes say he won't recover from injuries sustained in February, when he was struck by a car while riding his bicycle home from a friend's house.
- Downers Grove Named 8th Friendliest Town in America by Forbes Magazine: Community events, parks, highly-educated residents and a bustling downtown landed Downers Grove among the 15 friendliest places to live, according to Forbes.
- North High School Grieving Death of Teacher and Coach Mike Amrhein: The assistant varsity baseball coach died in July at the age of 37.
- Two Lemont Teens Accused of Residential Burglary in Unincorporated Downers Grove: Christopher G. Forzley and Jacob G. Carpenter were charged in August with felony counts of burglary and residential burglary.
- Michael Phelps Meets Idol, Michael Jordan, While Taping Ryder Cup Show in Downers Grove: The Olympic swimmer had a surprise meeting with the Chicago Bulls legend during a taping of the Golf Channel's "Feherty Live" at the Tivoli Theater in September.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
There are plenty of ways to keep up on Downers Grove news: