Veterans Day Facts and Figures
From where veterans reside to how many are disabled, the U.S Census Bureau provides a data-driven look at today's holiday.
Veterans Day is Friday, Nov. 11, and with that, the U.S. Census Bureau compiled a list of stats that offer a glimpse into aspects of veterans’ lives.
Three states with 1 million or more veterans in 2010.
- California (2 million)
- Florida (1.6 million)
- Texas (1.6 million)
14.1 percent of people 18 and older in Alaska were veterans in 2010.
The percent of the 18 and older population were veterans was 12 percent or more in Maine, Montana, Virginia and Wyoming.
- 26 percent of veterans 25 and older with at least a bachelor’s degree in 2010.
- In comparison, 28 percent of the total population had a bachelor’s degree or higher.
- 92 percent of veterans 25 and older with a high school diploma or higher in 2010, compared with 86 percent of the population as a whole.
- $35,367 annual median income of veterans, in 2010 inflation-adjusted dollars, compared with
- $25,605 for the population as a whole.
- 9.6 million veterans 18 to 64 in the labor force in 2010.
- 26 percent of veterans for whom poverty status is determined with a disability in 2010.
- 3.4 million veterans with a service-connected disability rating.
- Of this number, 698,000 have a rating of 70 percent or higher.
Severity of one’s disability is scaled from 0 to 100 percent and eligibility for compensation depends on one’s rating.
Source: 2010 American Community Survey
- 15.8 million veterans voted in the 2008 presidential election, or 71 percent of veterans cast a ballot in the election.
- 12.4 million veterans voted in the 2010 congressional election, or 51 percent of veterans voted in this election.
- Nine percent of all U.S. nonfarm firms that are majority owned by veterans.
- Veteran-owned firms comprised an estimated 2.4 million of the 27.1 million nonfarm businesses nationwide in 2007.
- 75 percent of veteran owners of respondent firms were 55 or older in 2007. This compares with 37 percent of all owners of respondent firms.
- Similarly, in 2007, 56 percent of veteran-owned respondent firms with employees reported that their businesses were originally established before 1990. This compares with 39 percent of all employer respondent firms.
- Eight percent of veteran owners of respondent firms who were disabled as the result of injury incurred or aggravated during active military service.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
There are plenty of ways to keep up on Downers Grove news: