One of the only parades of its kind in the state, the Silent Parade traditionally features fire service vehicles from more than 25 communities, all of which display lights only. No sirens will be sounded.
The parade will begin in Hinsdale at 7 p.m. and proceed west along Maple Avenue through Clarendon Hills, Westmont, Downers Grove and Lisle. The parade is expected to pass through Downers Grove at Main Street and Maple Avenue at approximately 7:15 p.m.
An illuminated American flag, suspended from crossed aerial ladders, will grace the intersection of Main and Maple as the cortege passes underneath.
People may assemble along Maple Avenue to view the parade and pay tribute by holding a flashlight as the cortege passes.
The night will conclude with a memorial service and tribute to firefighters at Trinity Lutheran Church in Lisle, just south of Route 53 and Maple Avenue.
Also in Downers Grove this Weekend:
- Downers Grove's DLD Dance Company will hold its second annual dance showcase at 2 p.m. Saturday at the DuPage County Fairgrounds Exhibition Hall, 2015 Manchester Road in Wheaton.
- The Indian Boundary YMCA, 711 59th St. in Downers Grove, will host its fourth annual Breast Cancer Awareness 5K Walk/Run at 8:30 a.m. Saturday. The event is free and will honor those who have had breast cancer. Sign up in the Fitness Center or by calling 630-929-2419.
More From The Weekender
- Where to Cheer on Chicago Marathoners, See the Stanley Cup
- Surrounded by Apples? Time to Make Apple Pie
- Homestead's Rooftop Staying Open for Year-Round Dining