The National Weather Service has issued an excessive heat warning for the Chicago region, with temperatures climbing into the high 90s, and a heat index of 100-degrees-plus on Tuesday.
Power usage will be at its peak as residents and businesses cool off with air conditioners, possibly causing brownouts or power outages in the Downers Grove area.
ComEd encourages customers manage energy use efficiently while keeping cool during the heat.
- Cool only the rooms in use
- Run appliances like the dishwasher and washing machine at night.
Those in need of a cooling center may visit any of the following locations:
- Downers Grove Park District Recreation Center, 4500 Belmont Road: Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., and Saturday/Sunday, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Downers Grove Public Library, 1050 Curtiss St.: Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.; and Sunday, 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Lincoln Center, 935 Maple Ave.: Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturday, 8 a.m. to noon
- Downers Grove Village Hall, 801 Burlington Ave: Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Downers Grove Police Department, 825 Burlington Ave.: Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.