Despite the National Weather Service predicting "periods of rain and isolated thunderstorms" Thursday, trick-or-treating is still a go in Downers Grove.
As of 9 a.m. Thursday, 3.5 inches of rain had fallen in Downers Grove, according to the NWS.
The Village of Downers Grove does not have mandated hours for trick-or-treating, but the police department recommends that activity cease when daylight hours end. Curfew prohibits anyone under the age of 17 to be on the street after 11 p.m. on weeknights, according to the village officials.
The Downers Grove Police Department and the Downers Grove Fire Department also offer the following safety tips for kids and adults:
- Trick or Treat with parents or in groups, never alone.
- Stay on sidewalks and never walk in the street. You can see cars much easier than they can see you.
- Cross the streets carefully and only at corners.
- Limit trick or treating to the immediate neighborhood.
- Accept only treats which are wrapped and securely sealed. Parents should check all treats before allowing children to eat them.
- Never enter a stranger’s home or car for a treat.
- If Trick or Treating after dark, carry a flashlight. Only visit homes with a porch light on.