From business openings and closings to plans for the future, here are the business headlines that made a splash in Downers Grove in 2012:
- Owner: Omega Restaurant Will Not Re-Open: Omega, 1300 Ogden, has been closed since mid-July after it lost water and electricity service. The owner has since announced plans to re-open the restaurant.
- Downers Grove Mourns Loss of Longtime Business Owner BJ Boyd: Boyd, 60, owned and operated Consider It Done in downtown Downers Grove for nearly 12 years. She died Sunday after a battle with cancer.
- Petitioner Withdraws Petition for Proposed Walgreens: No Walgreens at 63rd and Woodward.
- Downers Grove Sara Lee Outlet to Close: The store, located at 2223 Ogden Ave., closed its doors in October after 41 years in business
- Max Logan's to Re-open 2 Months After Cracked Toilet Flooded Store: The downtown Downers Grove home goods store was open only three days in June before a cracked toilet on the building's second floor badly damaged the ceiling and carpeting.
- 'Jeans and a Cute Top' Opens in Downtown Downers Grove: The women's clothing store opened in September at 5116 Main St.
- 20-Something Business Owner Dishes on the Recipe for Success: At age 24, Skuddlebutts Pizza & Catering owner explains what makes him so driven at such a young age.
- New Downtown Shop Sells Designer Children's Clothing: Posh Kids Etc. started as an eBay business ten years ago.
- Raising an Ice Cream Cone to 20 Years of Success: Every Day's A Sundae's anniversary party in August drew loyal customers, family, friends, former employees and even a state senator.
- Aston Martin to Open Second Illinois Dealership in Downers Grove: Village officials approved a sales tax rebate agreement with the high-end dealership, 217 Ogden Ave., which is expected to generate an additional $185,000 in revenue for the village each year.
- 'Cocomero' Frozen Yogurt Shop Opens in Downtown Downers Grove: The long-awaited downtown shop opened in November at 5150 Main St.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
There are plenty of ways to keep up on Downers Grove news: