A three-story apartment building in Woodridge was damaged by a fire caused by a grill on a second-floor balcony.
Darien-Woodridge Fire District Chief David Lambright told the Chicago Tribune the fire in the 12-unit building began at about 11 a.m. at 7723 Woodward Ave. The blaze caused heavy damage and the roof collapsed by 2 in the afternoon before firefighters put out the flames.
"It was a lightweight, truss roof, and they don't hold up under fire conditions at all," Lambright told the Tribune. About 25 to 30 residents are relying on the American Red Cross for temporary shelter.
Haroun Baki, a part-owner of the building who lives in one of the downtsairs units, told ABC 7 News he'd rebuild.