If you haven’t yet registered to vote, get it off your to-do list now.
Six million people didn’t vote in the 2008 elections because they either did not know how to register or because they missed the voter registration deadline.
The voter registration deadline for the Nov. 6 election in Illinois is Oct. 9.
In order to register to vote, you must:
- Be a United States citizen;
- Be at least 18 years old on or before the next election;
- Live in your election precinct at least 30 days before the next election;
- Not be convicted and in jail;
- Not claim the right to vote anywhere else.
Downers Grove residents may register at any of the following locations:
- Downers Grove Public Library, 1050 Curtiss St.
- Downers Grove Village Hall, 801 Burlington Ave.
- Downers Grove Township offices, 4340 Prince St.
- Downers Grove Area Chamber of Commerce and Industry, 2001 Butterfield Road, Suite 105 (Call first: 630-968-4050)
- Lisle Township offices, 4721 Indiana Ave. in Lisle
- York Township offices, 1502 Meyers Road in Lombard
- DuPage Election Commission, 421 N. County Farm Road in Wheaton
Two forms of identification are needed when registering, according to election officials.
If you do not register by Oct. 9, you may participate in grace period registration and voting at the DuPage County Election Commission office, 421 N. County Farm Road, Wheaton. The grace period will begin Oct. 10 and concludes Nov. 3.
For more information about voting or to check your registration status, visit the DuPage County Election Commission website at www.dupageelections.com.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
There are plenty of ways to keep up on Downers Grove news: