District 58 is excited to be further exploring the impact of a 1:1 device initiative on teaching and learning.
During the Sept. 9 meeting of the District 58 Board of Education, Technology Director Scott Meech presented an update on the district’s journey and recent successes.
Approximately 70 teachers and 1,400 students are participating in a full-year 1:1 pilot program, in which each student received on the first day of school an iPad Mini for use in all subject areas throughout the day and (in first through sixth grade) to take home in the evenings.
Teachers applied to be a part of the first-year pilot, and at least two full grade levels from each elementary building were selected to participate. Already, students are embarking on creative, exciting projects, which staff will gather and share throughout the year.
More than 1,500 parents attended the 1:1 launch meetings, and expressed appreciation for the opportunity to learn about the program and ask questions.
District 58’s 1:1 pilot emphasizes teaching and learning via a blend of traditional and digital materials, and involving students in higher-level creative and collaborative activities.
The three key areas of focus for District 58’s 1:1 pilot are:
- Monitoring the pilot’s effectiveness, with a focus on academic achievement, student collaboration, creativity and engagement, executive functioning skills and resource allocation, among other things. This will entail gathering data from a variety of stakeholders and sources such as student interviews and staff feedback.
- Providing professional development
- Developing online support resources for all stakeholders
“We’re on a journey, and we want to help everyone engage in and learn from that process,” Meech said.
District 58 is again partnering with the Downers Grove Public Library to host a series of Digital Learning Workshops for parents and community members. Sessions will take place at the Downers Grove Public Library, 1050 Curtiss St.:
- Friday, Sept. 20, from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m
- Monday, Sept. 30, 7 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Wednesday, Oct. 16, 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
- Friday, Nov. 15, 1 p.m. to 2 p.m.
- Monday, Dec. 2, 7 p.m. to 8 p.m.