Between 25,000 and 35,000 people are expected to come through the fest on a daily basis throughout the weekend, which features carnival rides, musical acts, various markets and other forms of entertainment.
“We're calling it a true community event,” said incoming Rotary Club president Kent Ebersold. “In the past [the fest] has been marketed throughout Chicago and the 'burbs and this year we're really enjoying its laid back, 'All about Downers Grove' feel.”
To that end, the 50+ member club is still in need of volunteers for Sunday night, so if you'd like to fill one of the weekend's 240 volunteer shifts, sign up on the Rotary GroveFest's website here. And to get you ready for the fest, we've included some information below to let you know what to look out for during the weekend's festivities.
• The Rotary GroveFest takes place Thursday, June 21 through Sunday, June 24.
• The hours of operation for each day are:
Thursday, June 21: 5:30 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Friday, June 22: 12 p.m. to 11 p.m.
Saturday, June 23: 12 p.m. to 11 p.m.
Sunday, June 24: 12 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.
• The Rotary GroveFest is free before 6 p.m. on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. After 6 p.m. on those days there is a $5 cover charge for anyone over 16. If you arrive before 6 p.m. and stay after 6 p.m., there is no cover charge. If you pay the $5 admission, you only have to pay it once. So, if you pay it on Friday night and come back on Saturday or Sunday, you won't have to pay again. Wristbands will be given out.
• Amusement ride pricing:
On Thursday night, there is a $23 unlimited rides pass for the evening. On Friday, there's an $18 unlimited kiddie ride wristband option between 12 p.m. and 4 p.m.. For the rest of the weekend:
1 ticket for $1.25, 22 tickets for $25, 55 tickets for $60.
• On Saturday, the Downtown Market will move its location from the to Main Street itself. The market will be on Main Street between Grove and Curtiss from 7 a.m. to Noon.
• During the Downers Grove Junior Woman's Club craft show at on Saturday and Sunday, Skuttlebutts will be selling food. The craft show takes place from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday. On Saturday, there will be a whole slate of live folk music during the craft fair from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.. On Sunday, the Downers Grove Choral Society will perform at Fishel at 2 p.m.
• The regularly scheduled Friday night will be replaced this weekend by a car show on Warren Ave on Sunday from 10:30 to 4 p.m.. Over 200 cars are expected, and trophies will be given out in a plethora of categories.
• The business expo sponsored by Bank Financial will feature over 40 food and business booths throughout the weekend.
• Weekend Main Stage entertainment (descriptions provided by the Rotary GroveFest's website):
Friday, June 22:
5 p.m. To 6:30 p.m.: Shy Violet (Sassy, classy show band: two charismatic female vocalists and a powerful rhythm section. Pop/dance/rock/PARTY!)
7:15 p.m. to 8:45 p.m.: The Cryan' Shames (Major Chicago 60's vocal rock band is back, just for the fun of it!)
9:30 p.m. to 11 p.m.: Jin and Tonic Band (A premier 7-piece country band: powerful 3-part vocal harmonies, amazing musicianship, and a fiddle!)
Saturday, June 23:
Noon to 1 p.m.: Rock Academy (Downers Grove music school where young musicians can meet, form bands, and rock out!)
2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.: Guided Path (Bringing the soul of Motown and the spirit of Rock.)
4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m.: The Flat Cats (Vintage and modern music rooted in the hottest swinging jazz and blues, contemporary classics, and timeless standards.)
7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.: Judges' Nite Band (Good-time Rock 'n Roll... and it's perfectly legal!)
9:30 p.m. to 11 p.m.: Dave Specter Blues Band (With special guest Mark Wydra. One of Chicago's premier blues guitarists plays the BluesFest main stage, Buddy Guy's, and many more.)
Sunday, June 24:
Noon to 12:15: DLD Dance Center
12:20 p.m. to 12:35 p.m.:
12:40 p.m. to 1:25 p.m.:
1:30 p.m. to 2 p.m.: Trinity Irish Dancers
2:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.: Undefined (A young and exciting four-piece band playing original music and pop/rock covers.)
4:15 p.m. to 5:45 p.m.: Billy Elton (A Tribute to the Music of Billy Joel and Elton John, featuring Reid Spears.)
6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.: Evolution (Classic to current rock from a new band with the three founding members of Hi-Infidelity!)
9 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.: Maggie Speaks (One of the hottest live bands in Chicago! With unstoppable energy and packed dance floors, they’ve changed the world of cover bands.)